Friday, December 17, 2010

Review: Legacy by Kate Kaynak


Legacy (Ganzfield, #3)

Legacy by Kate Kaynak


Maddie has more problems than the average seventeen-year-old:
A psychotic killer with superpowers wants her dead.
A serious medical issue makes a "normal" life impossible for her.
And she's about to be introduced to Trevor's grandparents.
Guess which one freaks her out the most?

US Publication: Jan 28th 2011
3rd in Ganzfield Series
Source: Received from author in exchange for honest review

**My Rating: 5/5*

*My Review*

So, I feel like one of the luckiest people right now, not only did I receive an ARC of Legacy by Kate Kaynak (what? did you say you don't know what I am talking about? are you living under a rock? Nah, just kidding. But seriously, you are missing out big time and you should read my reviews and buy it NOW!) Hem, I was saying... I received a copy, it is signed and personalized! AND my reviews from Minder and Adversary are quoted!) Plus, I think that I am the first to publish a review :)

Legacy starts out with a letter to the reader and it had me laughing before the book even began--
 "I know there is a fine line between 'I know this already' and 'Who's that guy, and how did he set that thing on fire.'" Classic :)
It starts out with me on the edge of my seat-- wondering when that happened-- when you read you will know exactly what I mean. But it is not what I thought at first and it does add more complications and things to consider.

Kate also gave my imagination many hot things to consider with a few well placed scenes- but she still kept it very clean! (Can't speak for what went on in my head after, lol)

There is a new despicable character introduced and it arises interest as to how she is crucial to the plot. Kate writes her wonderfully, I automatically want to smack her right along with Maddie.
"I still held his arm- it gave my hand something to do besides smack people"
I also like Archer, he is funny, warm and genuine. Plus, he uses words like neat-o. He plays a part in the story that I didn't see coming. That is the thing with Legacy, it is so rich and I love seeing glimpses into the side characters and learning more about their story. Of course the main focus is on Maddie, and it is awesome to be in her head. But characters like Rachel and Matilda just make this story amazing.

There are some heartbreaking passages, but Kate handles them with care. Grief and healing processes are explored, and it shows that love and support really can do wonders. The themes of second chances and redemption are also sprinkled in and I love to see worthy characters who have made mistakes be able to step up and change.

Legacy keeps the break-neck pacing that Adversary had, and I am constantly surprised by what happens. Her writing is superb, eliciting the whole range of emotions. These are the characters that I love, I am invested in them. When they laugh, so do I. I hate who they hate, are in suspense with them. The world at Ganzfield is  well thought out, believable, and complex.

The relationships in this book are amazing, whether they are romantic, parent/child, or friendship. There are examples of how it should be, how dysfunction can really hurt others.

Miscellaneous awesome  (non-spoiler) quotes:
"Holy Crap!..."
The expression bothered Hannah but she concluded that taking the name of poop in vain wasn't really blasphemous." 
"You seem to know a lot about Star Wars Maddie..."
"Doesn't everyone? Isn't is a component of cultural literacy? Like Shakespeare? Or um.... the Bible?" 
"It's like bowling... only with blow torches" 

All I wanted to do was sit here and read, and was mad at real life and sleep when it interrupted my reading time. This is an amazing series of books that I highly recommend, and Legacy did not disappoint in the slightest, except when it ended and I NEED more. (And the preview chapter Kate, come on, awesome writing, but SUSPENSE!)

I would love to hear what you think of my review and/or of this book/series

4 comments:

  1. I read Minder and I freaking loved it!! I cannot wait to read the rest. Legacy is on its way to me from Kate herself but I need to buy Advesary first. I know this is a great series eh!

    Kristen
    My Bloody Fairy Tale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review, Brandi! I really really really need to start this series. I can never find it at my bookstore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reviewing, Brandi! *giddy, giddy grin*
    I'm SO glad you liked it. Yes, this is the VERY FIRST LEGACY review!

    Melissa, oh, we can fix that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this one myself. Loved it. This series never ceases to blow my mind. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)