Saturday, May 19, 2012

Review: First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky


First Comes Love
First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky
Like his name, Gray is dark and stormy. Dylan, a girl always searching for what’s next, seemingly unable to settle down, is the exact opposite: full of light and life. On the outside, they seem like an unlikely couple. But looks can be deceiving and besides, opposites attract.
What starts as friendship, turns into admiration, respect and caring, until finally these two lone souls find they are truly in love with each other.
But staying in love is not as easy as falling in love. If Dylan and Gray want their love to last, they’re going to have to work at it. And learn that sometimes love means having to say you’re sorry.
Published in US: May 8th 2012
Source: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Stand-alone novel

My Review:
       First Comes Love is told in dual perspectives and Katie Kacvinsky totally pulled it off. Both voices were distinct and I appreciated seeing both sides of the love story, what each was thinking and both perspectives on love, sex, and problems.
       I am a sucker for characters and in this character driven story, Ms. Kacvinsky nails them. When I say its a character driven story, that is not dismissing the plot. There is definite emotions, themes and actions that keep the story going.
      Dylan is a character to be admired. She has such a free spirit, and she doesn't care what others think. She is always looking for adventure, and she looks at people for what is below the surface.
      Gray is reclusive and dark, but we find out that there is a really good reason for it, and I love how Dylan peels back the layers, helps him heal, trust and to really live again.
      I really appreciate seeing their relationship bloom. This is not an insta-love book, and their friendship and falling for each other really makes this book special.
     I was pleased with the ending, though at one point, I really wasn't sure how she was going to pull it off. But things were tied up neatly, and even though I want more from Dylan and Gray, I liked the way that she left things.
     This is such a sweet story tinged with lots of emotion, stuff to laugh at, and a whole new way to look at life.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. tnx 4the r3view
    this has been on my wishlist for some time now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book too! I reviewed it a couple of days ago and felt the exact same way! The characters were really awesome. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dual perspectives when the character voices are so distinct. This one looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)